SmileDirectClub has become a recognized name in the orthodontic industry, offering an alternative to traditional braces. As more people consider this option for teeth straightening, a multitude of questions arise. This article seeks to address the most commonly asked questions about SmileDirectClub. Our objective is to present factual information to assist individuals in making informed choices about their orthodontic care. Read on to understand more about the processes, benefits, and considerations associated with SmileDirectClub.
What is SmileDirectClub?
Founded in 2014, SmileDirectClub is a teledentistry firm offering clear aligners as an alternative to traditional orthodontic solutions. These aligners, tailored from teeth impressions or scans, are conveniently delivered to the patient’s doorstep. SmileDirectClub eliminates regular in-person dentist or orthodontist visits, allowing patients to undergo the entire treatment within their home’s comfort.
How does SmileDirectClub differ from traditional orthodontic treatments?
SmileDirectClub offers a unique approach to orthodontic treatment that differs from traditional methods in several ways.
Firstly, SmileDirectClub uses clear plastic aligners that are custom-made for each patient, which are more discreet than traditional metal braces. Additionally, patients can receive treatment from the comfort of their own homes, without the need for frequent visits to an orthodontist.
SmileDirectClub also offers a more affordable option for orthodontic treatment, with prices up to 60% lower than traditional braces. This is due to the fact that SmileDirectClub cuts out the cost of in-person visits with an orthodontist, which can be a significant expense in traditional orthodontic treatment.
Another difference is that SmileDirectClub treatment plans are designed and monitored remotely by licensed dentists or orthodontists. This allows for a more flexible and convenient treatment option for patients who may not have access to an orthodontist in their area.
How is SmileDirectClub different from other direct-to-consumer aligner companies?
SmileDirectClub is one of the most well-known direct-to-consumer aligner companies. Here are some ways in which SmileDirectClub is different from other companies in the same space:
- Pricing: SmileDirectClub’s pricing is lower than other direct-to-consumer aligner companies. The company charges a one-time fee of $2,250, which is lower than the cost of traditional braces or Invisalign. Payment plans are also available, starting at $89 per month.
- Treatment duration: SmileDirectClub treatment typically takes around 6 months to complete according to the provider, which is shorter than other direct-to-consumer aligner companies. This is because SmileDirectClub uses a more aggressive treatment plan, requiring patients to wear their aligners for 22 hours per day.
- Remote treatment: SmileDirectClub offers remote treatment, which means that patients can complete their entire treatment process without ever visiting a dental office. Other direct-to-consumer aligner companies like Invisalign may require patients to visit a dental office for check-ins or to receive new aligners.
- Aligner material: SmileDirectClub aligners are made from BPA-free plastic. The company utilizes Comfort Sense™ technology to design aligners in soft, medium, and firm plastic variations, aimed at gradually moving teeth.
Is SmileDirectClub ADA-approved?
SmileDirectClub is not ADA-approved. The American Dental Association (ADA) has raised concerns about direct-to-consumer orthodontic treatment, including SmileDirectClub. The ADA has stated that it is important for patients to receive a comprehensive examination and ongoing care from a licensed dentist or orthodontist.
In response to the ADA allegations, SmileDirectClub informed that the platform operates with a network of state-licensed dentists and orthodontists who supervise each patient’s treatment from start to finish, ensuring they receive appropriate care. The company highlighted that only a minimal percentage of their 750,000 customers had clinical concerns, a rate lower than traditional orthodontics.
Despite not being ADA-approved, SmileDirectClub is registered with the Better Business Bureau and has received accreditation from the Accreditation Alliance of Practitioners in Telehealth. SmileDirectClub has also received positive reviews from many customers who have used their services.
How does the SmileDirectClub treatment process work?
The SmileDirectClub treatment process involves several steps:
- Assessment: Start with a free online smile assessment to determine if you’re a suitable candidate.
- Impression Kit: If you’re eligible, you can either order an impression kit to take molds of your teeth at home or visit one of SmileDirectClub’s SmileShops for a 3D scan of your teeth.
- Treatment Plan: After receiving your impressions or scans, a state-licensed dentist or orthodontist will review them and create a custom treatment plan for you. You’ll get a preview of how your smile will transform over time.
- Receiving Aligners: Once you approve the plan, SmileDirectClub will send you custom-made clear aligners directly to your home, along with step-by-step instructions.
- Wearing Aligners: Wear the aligners as directed, typically around 22 hours a day, switching to a new set of aligners every week or as prescribed.
- Remote Monitoring: Throughout the treatment, your progress is monitored remotely by the affiliated dental professionals, ensuring everything is on track.
- Completion: After finishing your treatment plan, you can purchase a set of retainers from SmileDirectClub to maintain your new smile.
Can I get started with SmileDirectClub using an impression kit instead of visiting a SmileShop?
Yes, you can use an impression kit. SmileDirectClub offers two ways to get started with clear aligner treatment: an in-person visit to a SmileShop or a home impression kit.
The kit provides the necessary tools to make an impression on your teeth, a procedure that typically takes around 30 minutes. After this, you have to send the impressions back to SmileDirectClub. A state-licensed dentist or orthodontist will then evaluate them, producing a 3D model of your teeth, which will be used to draft a treatment plan suited to your dental structure.
How to Send SmileDirectClub Impressions?
To start the SmileDirectClub process, customers can choose between an impression kit or an in-person 3D scan. For those who prefer the impression kit option, here’s how to send the impressions to SmileDirectClub:
- Follow the instructions provided in the impression kit to create accurate impressions of your teeth.
- Double-check the impressions for accuracy and completeness.
- Package the impressions securely in the provided box and include the completed consent form.
- Use the prepaid shipping label to send the package to SmileDirectClub.
How long does SmileDirectClub take to deliver?
SmileDirectClub’s impression kit orders usually ship within 1-2 days. Initial aligner and retainer orders should ship within 2-3 weeks to U.S. and Canadian destinations and within 3-4 weeks to international destinations. Once the aligners arrive, the treatment time typically takes 4-6 months on average.
Customers can track their orders on the SmileDirectClub website. The company also provides email updates on the status of the order. If there are any issues with the order, SmileDirectClub’s customer service team is available to assist.
How to Track SmileDirectClub Aligners?
SmileDirectClub provides a mobile app that helps patients track their aligner progress. The app provides details of the treatment plan, including which aligner the patient is on and how many more they have to go. It also displays the date the patient needs to switch to the next aligner.
The app sends reminders to patients when it’s time to switch aligners, ensuring that they stay on track with their treatment plans. Patients can also use the app to schedule virtual Smile Check-ins™ with the dental care team and prescribing doctor. In addition to the mobile app, SmileDirectClub provides also a tracking page on its website.
Patients can also contact SmileDirectClub’s dental team if they have any questions or concerns about their treatment progress. The dental team can connect with the patient’s prescribing doctor to get them back on track if they’ve fallen behind in their treatment plan.
What Materials Are the SmileDirectClub Aligners Made Of?
SmileDirectClub aligners are 3D printed in the United States using BPA-free plastic. With the Comfort Sense™ technology, these aligners come in various firmness levels – soft, medium, and firm – aimed at gradually adjusting teeth positioning.
Does SmileDirectClub use attachments?
SmileDirectClub aligners do not use attachments in the same way as Invisalign. Instead of attachments, SmileDirectClub aligners rely on pressure points and precision trimming to move teeth. This means that the aligners are less visible and more comfortable to wear.
Eligibility and Suitability
Am I a Good Candidate for SmileDirectClub?
Determining if you’re a good candidate for SmileDirectClub typically involves an assessment of your dental and orthodontic needs. SmileDirectClub is best suited for mild-to-moderate orthodontic issues such as minor crowding, spacing, and some bite issues. More severe orthodontic problems might require comprehensive interventions.
To evaluate your eligibility, SmileDirectClub generally offers a few options:
- Online Assessment: You can take a short online quiz on their website, which will give you a preliminary idea.
- Visit a SmileShop: You can schedule a visit to one of their physical locations, where they’ll take a 3D image of your teeth.
- At-Home Impression Kit: If you can’t visit a SmileShop, you can order an at-home impression kit where you’ll take molds of your teeth and send them back for evaluation.
After your evaluation, the company’s affiliated dental professionals will review your information and inform you if you’re a good candidate.
Is there an age limit for using SmileDirectClub?
To undergo treatment with SmileDirectClub, you must be at least 12 years old and have all your permanent teeth in place. If you’re under 18, a medical and dental history form must be co-signed by a parent or guardian.
Is SmileDirectClub suitable for someone who’s had braces?
Yes, SmileDirectClub is suitable for individuals who have previously had braces. Many people opt for SmileDirectClub aligners as a follow-up to maintain or make minor corrections after their initial orthodontic treatment with braces. However, it’s important to have an evaluation, either through SmileDirectClub’s kit or at one of their SmileShops, to ensure that the aligners will address the specific needs and concerns.
Can teenagers use SmileDirectClub?
Yes, teenagers can use SmileDirectClub. Individuals must be at least 12 years old to begin treatment, and all permanent teeth must be present. For teenagers under the age of 18, a parent or guardian’s signature is required on the provided medical and dental history form.
Is SmileDirectClub suitable for kids?
SmileDirectClub is not designed for younger children. It is suitable for individuals who are at least 12 years old and have all of their permanent teeth.
Can I use SmileDirectClub with missing teeth?
Yes, you can use SmileDirectClub with missing teeth, but the specific suitability will depend on the location and number of missing teeth, as well as your overall dental condition. SmileDirectClub’s affiliated dental professionals will evaluate each case individually.
Can I have SmileDirectClub with crowns?
Yes, SmileDirectClub aligners can accommodate crowns. The aligners are designed for minor to moderate crowding, spacing, and general alignment concerns, and can fit over wisdom teeth, crowns, and fillings. To ensure the best result, it is recommended to consult with SmileDirectClub orthodontists during your treatment process.
Can you do SmileDirectClub with a permanent retainer?
Using SmileDirectClub with a permanent retainer can be a bit complex. Permanent retainers, typically bonded to the back of the front teeth, can interfere with the fitting and function of clear aligners. In many cases, the permanent retainer may need to be removed prior to starting with clear aligners.
Can you do SmileDirectClub with wisdom teeth?
Whether or not you can undergo SmileDirectClub treatment with wisdom teeth depends on the individual’s dental situation. If the wisdom teeth are fully erupted and not causing any issues, it might be possible to use SmileDirectClub aligners. However, if the wisdom teeth are impacted, partially erupted, or causing crowding or other dental issues, they may need to be addressed first. It’s important for those interested in SmileDirectClub to consult with a dental professional to evaluate the position and status of their wisdom teeth. In some cases, extraction or other interventions might be recommended before starting any orthodontic treatment.
Cost and Payment
How much does SmileDirectClub treatment cost?
The cost of SmileDirectClub treatment is $2,250 for a one-time payment. Alternatively, you can opt for a financing plan that requires a $250 deposit followed by monthly payments of $89 for 28 months, bringing the total to $2,742. These prices apply to both SmileDirectClub Aligners and SmileDirectClub Nighttime Aligners™.
Does SmileDirectClub offer payment plans?
Yes, SmileDirectClub provides a payment plan called SmilePay™. Customers can opt for this plan which requires a $250 deposit along with 28 monthly payments of $89 each, totaling $2,742. This payment plan includes free premium whitening services.
Are the impression kit and retainer costs included in the treatment price?
The SmileDirectClub treatment costs $2,250, excluding the impression kit ($59) and retainer ($125/set). The impression kit is required to start the process, but you can visit SmileShop for a free 3D teeth scan instead.
Will insurance cover any part of my SmileDirectClub treatment?
SmileDirectClub accepts most major insurance coverage, depending on the specifics of your dental plan. If orthodontia is included in your plan, it’s likely that SmileDirectClub aligners are covered similarly to traditional braces.
Your insurance provider could potentially cover up to 50% of your treatment. Additionally, you can utilize HSA or FSA funds as well as CareCredit for payment options. Keep in mind that insurance coverage varies between providers, so it’s important to verify your benefits before proceeding with treatment.
The SmileDirectClub veterans discount – how does it work?
For active military members and veterans, SmileDirectClub extends a special veteran’s discount. During promotional events like Veterans Day, this discount can trim approximately $170 off the cost of clear aligners.
Does SmileDirectClub take care of credit?
SmileDirectClub offers financing options, such as CareCredit, providing more affordability for their treatment plans. Additionally, they accept Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Health Savings Account (HSA) funds for payments. Customers can also check to see if their insurance covers aligners with them.
Treatment Duration and Expectations
How long does SmileDirectClub treatment typically last?
SmileDirectClub treatment is designed for mild-to-moderate cases of dental misalignment. The average treatment duration is usually between 4-6 months. This duration is shorter than traditional orthodontic treatments like Invisalign, which can take 12-18 months.
How often do I need to switch to a new set of aligners?
Typically, SmileDirectClub advises patients to switch to a new set of aligners every week or every two weeks. However, the exact duration can vary based on your individual treatment plan. It’s crucial to follow the schedule provided by the dentist or orthodontist overseeing your treatment through SmileDirectClub. Regularly switching aligners helps to progressively move your teeth to their desired positions.
What should I expect during the first week of wearing the aligners?
During your first week with SmileDirectClub aligners, expect some initial discomfort as your teeth begin adjusting. Your mouth will adapt to the new sensation, potentially altering your speech temporarily or increasing saliva production.
Usage and Care
How many hours per day should I wear my aligners?
You should wear your SmileDirectClub aligners for 22 hours per day. This ensures optimal results and keeps your treatment on track. The aligners should only be removed for eating, drinking anything other than water, and for oral hygiene practices like brushing and flossing.
How do I take care of my SmileDirectClub aligners?
To maintain your SmileDirectClub aligners, follow these simple steps. First, always remove them before eating or drinking anything other than water. This prevents staining and damage to the aligners.
Next, clean your aligners daily using a soft-bristle toothbrush and non-abrasive toothpaste. Avoid using denture cleaners or mouthwash, as they may harm the aligners’ material. For additional cleaning options, consider 5 Easy Ways to Clean Your Aligners from SmileDirectClub.
Finally, store your aligners in their provided case when not in use to avoid loss or damage. Practice proper aligner care to ensure successful treatment and a beautiful smile.
Can I eat or drink while wearing my aligners?
While using SmileDirectClub aligners, it is essential to remove them before eating or consuming any drinks other than plain water. Drinking hot beverages like tea and coffee may warp your aligners, rendering them less effective in straightening your teeth. Remember to brush your teeth before reinserting the aligners to maintain proper oral hygiene.
What should I do if an aligner doesn’t fit correctly?
If you encounter a situation where your aligner doesn’t fit properly, it is recommended to first try chewing on Movemints to improve the fit. This could solve the issue of aligners that are lifting up or feeling too tight.
In case the Movemints do not help to address the problem, getting in touch with SmileDirectClub’s dental team is your next step. They can provide assistance on how to proceed with ill-fitting aligners.
How to use SmileDirectClub aligner wax?
Using SmileDirectClub aligner wax can help alleviate discomfort from sharp or rough edges on your aligners. Here’s how to apply the wax:
- Wash Your Hands: Before touching your mouth or your aligners, ensure your hands are clean.
- Prepare the Wax: Pinch off a small piece of the aligner wax. Roll it between your fingers to soften and shape it into a small ball.
- Dry the Area: Before applying the wax, ensure the area of the aligner you want to cover is dry. This helps the wax to adhere better.
- Apply the Wax: Press the ball of wax onto the problem area of the aligner. Mold and smooth it into place so that it forms a protective barrier between the aligner and your gums or cheeks.
- Removal: When you’re ready to remove the wax, use a clean fingertip or soft dental tool to gently peel it off. Dispose of the used wax and never reuse it.
- Clean Your Aligners: Before re-inserting your aligners after cleaning, make sure you remove any residual wax. Clean your aligners as instructed by SmileDirectClub.
- Reapply as Needed: If you continue to experience discomfort, you can reapply the wax as often as necessary.
Remember, while the wax provides temporary relief, any consistent discomfort or issues with your aligners should be discussed with SmileDirectClub’s customer care or a dental professional. Learn more about using dental wax with aligners.
Dental Visits and Monitoring
Do I need to visit a dentist or orthodontist during my SmileDirectClub treatment?
No, in-person visits are not required for SmileDirectClub treatment. You’ll have regular virtual Smile Check-ins™ and 24/7 access to the dental care team, all overseen by your prescribing doctor. Each club member is assigned a state-licensed dentist or orthodontist who oversees the treatment and schedules virtual check-ins. This teledentistry approach helps keep costs low while still providing supervision for your smile improvement process.
How does remote monitoring with SmileDirectClub work?
After receiving their aligners, customers are required to regularly upload photos of their teeth using the SmileDirectClub app or through the website. These photos are reviewed by the affiliated state-licensed dentists or orthodontists overseeing the patient’s treatment. The dental professionals can then track the progress, ensuring that the teeth are moving as planned. If any issues or deviations from the treatment plan are observed, they can provide guidance or adjustments to the plan as needed.
Will I need to wear a retainer after completing my SmileDirectClub treatment?
Yes, after completing your SmileDirectClub treatment, you will need to wear a retainer to maintain your new smile. Wearing a retainer prevents your teeth from shifting once the treatment is complete.
The American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) recommends wearing retainers each night and replacing them every six months to maintain your straight smile effectively.
How often should I wear my retainer post-treatment?
After completing treatment with SmileDirectClub, it’s important to wear your retainer consistently to maintain your straight smile. The AAO recommends wearing your retainers each night, overnight, after brushing and flossing your teeth.
Retainers should be replaced every 6 months to ensure they maintain their shape and continue to prevent teeth from shifting back to their original position.
Can I get refinements if I’m not satisfied with the results?
Yes, SmileDirectClub offers refinements for customers who are not fully satisfied with their results. In some cases, refinements may take time and can be a frustrating experience. However, they are an option for those seeking further improvement in their smile.
Potential Risks and Concerns
Are there any side effects or risks associated with SmileDirectClub?
Yes, like any orthodontic treatment, using SmileDirectClub aligners may come with potential side effects or risks. Some common side effects and risks associated with clear aligner treatments like SmileDirectClub include
- Discomfort or Pain: As teeth shift, users may experience discomfort, especially when switching to a new set of aligners.
- Tooth Sensitivity: Some users may experience increased sensitivity to hot or cold.
- Oral Sores or Irritation: The edges of the aligners might irritate the cheeks, gums, or lips initially, although this usually diminishes as the mouth adapts.
- Unsatisfactory Results: There is always a risk that the treatment might not produce the desired results or that the teeth may not move as planned.
- Relapse: Teeth may move back to their original positions after treatment if retainers are not consistently used.
- Potential for Undiagnosed Oral Health Issues: Since SmileDirectClub operates remotely, there’s a potential that certain dental or gum issues might not be identified without regular in-person dental checkups.
How does SmileDirectClub address potential treatment issues or complications?
SmileDirectClub utilizes a teledentistry platform, allowing customers to interact with licensed dentists or orthodontists throughout their treatment. Every treatment plan is closely supervised by these professionals, ensuring the aligner regimen aligns with the customer’s dental needs.
Customers can connect directly with their treating specialist at any stage of the treatment to address concerns or issues. If a treatment isn’t progressing as expected or complications arise, SmileDirectClub offers guidance and potential solutions, which could involve modifying the treatment plan.
Furthermore, the company underscores the importance of regular dental check-ups. While their model reduces in-person visits for aligner-related matters, it doesn’t replace the necessity of consistent dental care.
Can SmileDirectClub cause gum recession?
Like any orthodontic treatment, there’s a potential risk of gum recession with SmileDirectClub, especially if not used correctly. Gum recession can result from excessive force on the teeth or from pre-existing periodontal conditions. However, the aligners themselves are designed to be safe and effective when used as directed.
SmileDirectClub: teeth shifting back – what to do?
SmileDirectClub provides a series of custom-fitting plastic trays for teeth straightening, with an average treatment time of 4-6 months. However, teeth may shift back after treatment. To prevent this, it’s important to wear the provided retainers consistently. These retainers are made of thicker materials and can last up to 6 months, maintaining your newly aligned smile.
Is it normal for teeth to feel loose with SmileDirectClub aligners?
Yes, it is normal for teeth to feel loose while using SmileDirectClub aligners. This sensation may seem strange, but it is a natural part of the teeth straightening process. The aligners apply pressure to shift teeth into their desired positions, causing them to feel temporarily loose during the treatment. This sensation generally subsides after the teeth have adjusted to the aligners.
Cracked SmileDirectClub Aligner – What to Do?
If you experience a cracked aligner while using SmileDirectClub’s products, the first step is to assess the damage. If it’s a small crack and still functional, continue using it as prescribed.
However, in case of significant damage, consider reaching out to SmileDirectClub for assistance on a possible replacement. Keep in mind that proper aligner removal and handling can help prevent future cracks.
Does SmileDirectClub move molars?
SmileDirectClub primarily focuses on adjusting the front teeth to address aesthetic concerns. While their aligners can exert force on molars, the treatment’s effectiveness on these posterior teeth is limited compared to comprehensive orthodontic treatment. The capability to move molars depends on the specific treatment plan and the extent of movement required. If significant molar movement is needed, a more traditional orthodontic approach might be recommended.
How do I reach out to SmileDirectClub if I have concerns or questions during my treatment?
If you have concerns or questions during your SmileDirectClub treatment, there are a few ways in which you can reach out for assistance.
One way would be through live chat on their website for a quick response. Additionally, you can give them a call at 800-848-7566 to speak with a representative directly. Lastly, you can fill out an email form on their website, providing your name, email, and a message describing your concerns or questions.
What’s the return policy for the impression kit?
SmileDirectClub offers a 60-day Money-Back Promise for their Lifetime Smile Guarantee™ to ensure customer satisfaction. If your received product has a defect, experienced performance issues, or was damaged in transit, you may be eligible for a full or partial refund. To initiate a return, contact SmileDirectClub at (800) 957-3409 with your order number.
What’s the difference between Invisalign and SmileDirectClub?
The primary differences between Invisalign and SmileDirectClub lie in cost, treatment capabilities, and the patient experience. Invisalign tends to be pricier and is designed to handle a broader range of orthodontic issues, including more severe ones. SmileDirectClub, while more affordable, is tailored for milder orthodontic corrections. Additionally, Invisalign’s treatment necessitates regular in-person appointments with a dental professional, whereas SmileDirectClub emphasizes a teledentistry approach, offering remote monitoring for patient convenience.
Why is SmileDirectClub faster than Invisalign?
SmileDirectClub typically offers a faster treatment duration, with an average plan lasting just 4–6 months. This is attributed to their 22-hour continuous wear plan, specifically designed to address mild to moderate alignment problems. In contrast, Invisalign’s treatment durations can vary significantly based on individual cases. While SmileDirectClub provides rapid results for select orthodontic concerns, the duration for Invisalign largely depends on the complexity of the issues being addressed and is determined by the treating doctor.
Why might one choose SmileDirectClub over other teeth-straightening options?
One might choose SmileDirectClub over other teeth-straightening options for several reasons:
- Cost-Effective: SmileDirectClub often offers treatment at a fraction of the cost of traditional braces or other clear aligner brands.
- Convenience: The teledentistry model allows patients to receive treatment without frequent in-person visits to a dentist or orthodontist.
- Shorter Treatment Time: With an average treatment plan of 4–6 months, SmileDirectClub provides a quicker solution for mild to moderate alignment issues.
- Discreet: Like other clear aligners, SmileDirectClub’s aligners are nearly invisible, offering a cosmetic advantage over traditional metal braces.
- Comfort: Made of smooth, BPA-free plastic, these aligners are often found to be more comfortable than metal braces, which can sometimes cause irritation.
- Flexibility: SmileDirectClub offers options like Nighttime Aligners™, giving users flexibility in their treatment plan.
- Accessibility: With over 350 SmileShops across the country, it’s relatively easy for customers to get started with their treatment process.
Is SmileDirectClub better than braces?
Whether SmileDirectClub is better than traditional braces depends on individual needs, preferences, and the complexity of the dental issues. Here are some factors to consider:
- Aesthetics: SmileDirectClub aligners are clear and nearly invisible, making them a more discreet option than metal braces.
- Convenience: As a teledentistry platform, SmileDirectClub allows for remote treatment monitoring, eliminating the need for frequent in-office visits.
- Comfort: The aligners are made from smooth plastic, which can be less irritating to the mouth compared to metal braces with wires and brackets.
- Removable: Aligners can be taken out for eating, brushing, and flossing, allowing for easier maintenance of oral hygiene.
- Cost: Often, SmileDirectClub can be more affordable than traditional orthodontic treatments.
Traditional Braces Advantages:
- Treatment Range: Braces can treat a broader range of complex orthodontic issues, including severe crowding, significant bite discrepancies, and skeletal imbalances.
- Consistent Pressure: Braces are fixed and apply consistent pressure, which might be more effective for certain types of tooth movement.
- In-Person Monitoring: Regular in-person visits with an orthodontist allow for closer monitoring of progress and any necessary adjustments.
- Durability: Braces are less susceptible to damage or being lost since they are attached to the teeth.
The best option depends on the individual’s orthodontic needs, budget, lifestyle, and personal preferences. While SmileDirectClub might be ideal for mild to moderate cases desiring a discreet and convenient solution, traditional braces might be necessary for more complex orthodontic problems.
Aesthetic Issues and Malocclusion
Can SmileDirectClub widen smile?
Certainly, SmileDirectClub aligners are designed to adjust tooth positions, potentially widening a smile. By optimally repositioning, especially the back teeth, they can craft a fuller and more harmonious smile.
While this method often addresses concerns like crowding and aims to enhance the dental arch’s form, the results depend on each person’s unique dental structure and the complexity of their needs.
What kind of dental issues can SmileDirectClub treat?
SmileDirectClub is designed to address mild to moderate teeth alignment concerns. Their clear aligners can correct:
- Spacing: If you have small to moderate gaps between your teeth, SmileDirectClub aligners can help close those spaces.
- Crowding: For individuals with mildly to moderately crowded teeth, these aligners can help reposition the teeth to alleviate the crowding.
- Bite Issues: SmileDirectClub may be able to address some minor-to-moderate bite issues, such as an overbite, crossbite, or underbite.
Can SmileDirectClub fix an overbite?
SmileDirectClub claims to be able to treat mild-to-moderate teeth correction issues, including overbites. However, the suitability of SmileDirectClub for any specific individual and their dental needs would be determined through an evaluation process by the company’s affiliated dental professionals.
Can SmileDirectClub fix Overjet?
SmileDirectClub can help with mild to moderate overjet issues. Their clear aligners are designed to adjust and straighten teeth, allowing more lower front teeth to show, and improving the bite for better dental health.
Can SmileDirectClub fix crossbite?
SmileDirectClub is designed to address mild-to-moderate teeth correction issues. While they may be able to treat certain types of mild crossbites, the effectiveness of SmileDirectClub in treating more complex cases may be limited.
Can SmileDirectClub fix crowding?
Yes, SmileDirectClub is capable of fixing mild to moderate teeth crowding issues. Their clear aligners have been designed to address concerns like crowding, spacing, and general alignment.
Research conducted by professors at the Harvard Dental School found teleorthodontic treatment with clear aligners, like those used by SmileDirectClub, to be clinically effective in correcting crowding or spacing. However, it’s important to note that SmileDirectClub aligners work best for those with mild to moderate dental misalignment concerns, not severe cases.
Can SmileDirectClub close gaps?
Yes, SmileDirectClub is designed to address mild-to-moderate teeth correction issues, and one of the common issues they claim to treat is gaps between teeth. Closing gaps, especially smaller ones, is typically more straightforward than some other orthodontic issues. However, the effectiveness of SmileDirectClub in treating larger gaps or gaps in conjunction with other dental issues may vary.
Can SmileDirectClub fix underbite?
SmileDirectClub is primarily designed for those with mild-to-moderate orthodontic concerns. Although the company can address certain mild underbites, more pronounced issues often demand advanced orthodontic solutions beyond just clear aligners. It’s essential to undergo an evaluation by SmileDirectClub’s affiliated dental experts to determine the best course of action for underbite corrections.
Can SmileDirectClub fix open bite?
SmileDirectClub is designed for minor to moderate teeth alignment concerns, including crowding and spacing. However, they may not be suitable for correcting open bites. It is advisable to consult SmileDirectClub’s dental experts for open bite issues to ensure the best possible treatment plan.
Does SmileDirectClub work for crooked teeth?
Yes, SmileDirectClub is designed to address and treat mild-to-moderate orthodontic issues, including crooked teeth. Their clear aligners can help straighten misaligned teeth. However, the effectiveness of the treatment for any individual depends on the severity and specifics of their case. It’s always recommended to undergo an evaluation by SmileDirectClub’s affiliated dental professionals to determine the suitability of the treatment for your particular situation.